Nancy Island Historic Site
A memorial to the supply schooner Nancy, sole surviving British vessel on the Upper great lakes near the end of the war of 1812, Nancy Island Historic Site is located on the Nottawasaga River in the heart of Wasaga Beach. The HMS Nancy was attacked and destroyed on the Nottawasaga River in August 1814. Her charred hull has been recovered and now rests inside an enclosure beside the museum which houses displays and artifacts dealing with water travel in the early 1800s and the War of 1812. In the theatre, the video “The Majesty of Sail – A Legacy of Valour” tells the story of the destruction of the Nancy and the subsequent capture of two American vessels.
Originally called Schooner Town, Nancy Island is now one of the many provincially significant sites housed within Ontario Parks. The memorial to the Flight of the Caribou is also on the grounds of the new visitor’s centre.
- Location: Wasaga Beach Provincial Park, intersection of Mosley St. and 3rd St.
- Season: Open weekends (and by special appointment) following Victoria Day, open daily from June 18th to Labour Day, and open weekends (and by special appointment) from Labour Day to Thanksgiving Monday.
- Hours of Operation: 10:00am to 6:00pm
- Admission Rates: Ontario Parks daily vehicle permit (please call the park office for current rates)
- Groups: Reservations accepted and required for guided tours.
- Facilities: Wheelchair access (with exception of theatre), washrooms, picnic tables, guided and self guided tours.